Booked Scheduler Community Support
August 20, 2019, 03:10:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Booked is proud to recommend Shift Capsule in the employee shift scheduling space www.ShiftCapsule.com

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to allow bookings to run indefinitely?  (Read 533 times)
cobelab

« on: February 14, 2019, 09:33:09 AM »

My Lab wants to use Booked to manage our resources and equipment. We are having some issues with how to book keys.

Ideally, we would like bookings of keys to run indefinitely. The booking should be stopped by us when the key is returned to us. Otherwise we lose track of the key, because a booking can end while the key is still in the hands of the researcher. So in the system it will look like it's accessible and can be booked, but in reality this isn't possible.

If anyone knows of alternative solutions to this problem, I'm happy to hear them. Smiley
TechCoder

Need Booked API/App/Plugin? http://bit.ly/23EutBO

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 12:53:55 PM »

Hello, codelab, and welcome to the forum!  I'm known as 'TechCoder' here and I work for CashFlowProducts.com (https://CashFlowProducts.com) where we build custom plugins, add-ons and mods for clients all over the world (see the website for more... Smiley

Here's what I thought when I saw your post:

Sounds like you really want "Check Out, Check In" - which is a feature we have been considering a long time (we call it "Library version" as it fits where someone takes something OUT first.....  Booked only supports "Hotel version" where someone checks IN first....)  The main reason we haven't developed it (other than having someone to fund it!) is that the specifications for it vary so much - and we don't have anyone stating "do this" to get it started!  (However, we could certainly help you get where you want to go with some custom work!)

Directly on your 'issues':

1. Booked doesn't really allow for 'indefinite' reservations (certainly not out-of-the-box, as you have seen) - though with a small mod, that can be changed (for example, change the end date to 9999-12-31)  Note that this sort of mod prevents anyone else from creating a reservation for that resource until the reservation is 'stopped' (a 'one-at-a-time' reservation system...)

2. The 'keys' could be manually handed out and the reservation scheduled, then you could use an Admin Custom Attribute to 'stop' the reservation which would change the end time on that reservation and another one could start at the next allowed time.

That is the simplest way I can think of to make this particular request work (you might have other specifications you want to do - this is based on your post...) 

It would require a 'fairly simple' custom plugin.......  Grin

Should you need help creating such a plugin (or other custom needs), we can help!  Just open a ticket for discussion  at https://CashFlowProducts.com/helpdesk
cobelab

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »

Hi TechCoder! Thank you very much for this thorough reply. I will discuss your advice with my group.

Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: