Booked Scheduler Community Support
July 20, 2018, 04:34:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Booked is proud to recommend Shift Capsule in the employee shift scheduling space www.ShiftCapsule.com

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Check-in/Check-out by QRCode or barcode  (Read 358 times)
PSUCage

« on: April 20, 2018, 05:06:23 PM »

Hi:

I'm sure that this is in pipeline, but I'll bring-up anyways.

We run a video equipment cage for our colleges communications students, the cage is manned by our (paid) students. By necessity, many pieces of our gear are in kits (lighting, for example, consists of 3 lights, stands, batteries... etc.). Our students currently use their phones to reserve gear & resources, which is great, but we still have a MAJOR problem.

Our student workers (or for that matter, the students signing-out gear, also) often don't bother to check the kits for completeness. the result: gear within the kits are being lost.

I'd like to have a means of quickly, electronically, and mandatorily check all pieces of a kit before it goes out, and when it comes back in , for completeness... barcoding/QRCoding everything seems a great way to do this.

WOuld this feature be helpful for others who read these boards?

I see the ability to print QRCodes in the resources section of Booked, I'm hoping that it's a seed to putting scanning into place.

Thanks!!
nigelsmith

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:16 AM »

Yes, that would be handy for us too!
liquidvishn

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 03:42:15 PM »

I have been running booked since 2014 for this exact purpose- running a college equipment cage. I had a coder implement a barcode system and discovered that whilst it was a great idea, it caused a huge delay in checkout/checkin. I don't know how large your cage is, or how many bookings you deal with (simultaneously), but I have a small cage area and can have a lot of bookings (during the height of semester).

What I ended up doing was instructing the cage personnel on correct checkout/checkin procedures. Designed an SOP that they must follow - this would be the same they do if this were any company too. I was not losing equipment but, as you discovered, kit completeness became an issue... especially when a kit was returned and the person checking it back in may have discovered something was 'missing' despite never being put in the kit by whomever checked it out.

It took a little time, but it faded away- each kit is now checked for completeness and any discrepancies are reported. If a kit is not complete, after being reported, the administrator (me) decides whether to pull that kit from circulation and removing it from the system until replacing the missing piece (if available), or updating that specific kit removing the missing piece from it's checkout list.

Each booking get's printed out, the day of- which lists everything going out. The student staff prepares the booking based on the latest print out, checking off all outgoing kits and pieces. This paper copy get's signed by the collector and, upon checking in, the list gets checked off for all kits and pieces.... if complete, the returner signs off - the sheet get's filed for that semester before destroying. If anything is missing, it is reported and the returner is flagged as unable to book anything until the missing pieces are found or replaced (by the named returner).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: