The only changes I made were to the configuration file. I deleted everything and reinstalled it and still got the same issue.
The settings I changed were:
$conf['settings']['script.url'] = 'http://localhost/Web';//
public URL to the Web directory of this phpScheduleIt
$conf['settings']['database']['user'] = 'root'; // database user with permission to the phpScheduleIt database
I also made the entire var folder writable so I could get access to the file. I know this probably isn't recommended, but I don't see how it could cause this problem.
Also, one of my colleagues installed the program on to his windows computer and everything worked fine. So, I'm not sure if our ubuntu server is the problem.
Thanks for the information